Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Berenstain Bears

Who didn't love the Berenstain Bears growing up? How can you resist wholesome furry bears who wear exactly the same clothes day in and out? I loved these books growing up. My favs are here and here. The Messy Book was the first time I felt the pull to be organized. Oh how I really wanted my room to resemble Brother and Sister bear's clean and organized room. I even begged my mom to buy me pegbaords for my room because they had them (and somehow I believed they were the magic that would keep my room neat). I believe I owe my Real Simple subscription to the effect this book had over me. It was the beginning of my want to be organized (notice I said want to be, not am).

So, why the ramble on a kid's book series? Because today I got to meet Stan and Jan Berenstain's (the creators of the books) son Mike. The big Z is publishing a Christian line of the books and he was in talking about them. This is one of those days that I love my job, one of those days when I remember why I have always wanted to work in publishing. These are books that I read ALL the time when I was little and now I am part of the process of getting them out to more kiddos. I get to meet authors and illustrators. I know, I am a total book geek, but I love it. I love being on the other side of the curtain even if 99.9% of my time is not near as fun as the .1% when I get to encounter things like this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's totally awesome! I am glad that you are doing what you love!

Dancing with God said...

How fun to meet authors and illustrators! My brothers and I also had a ton of the Berenstain Bears books. I don't remember the one about the messy room, but you also know that I didn't need that book ... :)

P.S. - I also subscribe to Real Simple!