Thursday, March 27, 2008

Nostalgic Meg

It's been awhile. Mostly because life has been, well, life has been life. It is busy and whirling and it hurts and there are tears and it is not fair. Fun, eh?

So tonight I am taking a break from life in the here and now. I am going back to a simpler time when the biggest hurt in my life was a crush not knowing I existed and my angst over not being "cool." A time where a hug from my mom and hope of future "grown-upness" made things bearable.

Nostalgia #1 Claire's
Yes, Claire's, the store that sells all of the junky trinkety accessories. It seems I bought stuff there everytime I went to the mall back in the day. And tonight in my search for a chunky yellow necklace to go with my oh-so-cute black and white polka dot dress, I ended up there again. And I bought a necklace and a bracelet. I confess. I am 25 and I made a purchase at Claire's. Funny that I have not set a foot in that store in probably 8 or so years, yet it was the only store where I could find what I wanted - and all for under $10! Made me feel like I was in middle school again. Oh the joy that plastic accessories can bring.

Nostagia #2 Higher Ground
Did anyone watch this show? Best show EVER. Ok, maybe I am exaggerating, but I love it. It ran from January-June in 2000, and then it was cancelled. It was great. If you get a chance, you should check it out on YouTube. I stumbled across it there and just finished re-watching all of the episodes. It is your basic teen drama, but better. Ah, and Hayden Christensen is a fine looking man, so that doesn't hurt. It brings me back to senior year and working at DQ and staring the unknown of my future right in the face. Which brings me to...

Nostalgia #3 The Tuesday Night Music Club
My first CD. Sigh. So good. This brings me right back to 7th grade. Oh, middle school. So much drama and so many layers piled high on top of my soul so no one would see real me. Heck, I didn't even know who the real me was. Some of my fav songs EVER are on that CD, Run, Baby, Run and I Shall Believe. Seriously good stuff. Oh, and the tie in the Nostalgia #2: I Shall Believe is playing on the last episode of Higher Ground. So I promptly put the iPod on that album and listened to it (horribly singing along) all the way to the mall and back. Good times.

So, there you have it folks, Nostalgic Meg. Amazing how little things like this can put a smile on my face when there is snow falling outside and the past couple of days have seemed bleak. Thank God (really, I am thanking him here) for small blessings wrapped in the warm haze of memories.

1 comment:

Aletha VanderMaas said...

Good post, Meg. :) MISS YOU!