Sunday, November 2, 2008

thankful

November is the month of thanks, of being grateful. We dedicate an entire turkey-eating holiday to it. So it is my goal in November to write something about something each day that I am thankful for. One thing that makes this plain little life so incredibly full. And since I missed yesterday, here are two.

My friends. Today I spent the better part of my day laughing and singing and walking and getting lost in the woods and watching North & South (BBC) with three of the best women in the world. Everyday I get crazy emails from at least one of them that makes my cheeks hurt from smiling. I can't imagine walking this stretch of my life without them.

My new running shoes. Yes, shoes. And the actual running part. I feel so incredibly connected to my body when I run. When I can feel each muscle and each breath straining to move me forward. When I know I could stop at any moment and yet I don't. It is hard to hate your body when you can feel it working, when you are cheering it on to go faster and to go harder and to be better. Each time I run it helps me love myself just a little bit more. It helps me to look into the mirror and be ok with everything I see. Last night I went for a run at 11 pm because I needed to feel that. I needed to be connected to myself and get outside of myself all at the same time. And so I ran.


Those are just two of a million things. I am excited to see what will pop up in the coming days and weeks. How about you - what are you thankful for?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(a) I like your header and background color.
(b) You almost made me cry. I miss your face every day.